Monday, April 28, 2014

Tears, it's what's for dinner

Oh dinnertime.  You used to be a great time.  A time when we could relax from our day and fill our bellies.  Now dinnertime is a time where hysteria replaces relaxation, and tears now fill our eyes.

The kids have either not gotten a long enough nap, or woke up for their nap cranky.
I'm cranky because I've gotten little sleep since the twins are liking to have a 3 or 4 am party these days.
Wes is stuck in traffic on his way home, so he's cranky.

5pm is not the Bedford's best hour.

Dinnertime usually goes a little like this:

One, or both will get up from their nap, crying.  I have no idea why.  They are still tired? They are hungry? They had a bad dream?  I ask them all these questions and all I get is hysteria.

So I place them in their highchairs one at a time making sure to strap those little wiggle worms in.
I then put a bib on them: one, to try and keep their clothes clean, and two, to catch their puddle of tears.  I'm serious.

I get out their food, which is usually a veggie I made for them the night before.

I sing, I dance, I tickle.  Anything to get them to stop crying and actually eat.  Nope, not having it.

Then things get real fun.  They start to spit food back at me until I sing a song they start to like, or until a dog comes in and they get distracted.  At that point I shovel in as much food as possible.  Unless it is green beans.  Audrey hates green beans so much she spits it out.  Gags even.  Closes her eyes and shutters.

She hated pumpkin this day.  Gagging.
(side note, I ate a sour strawberry and noticed I make this same face)


Finn will get distracted too by a tiny little tag that is on the bottom of his bib.  He continues to grab it and put it in his mouth until all the food that fell out of his mouth onto his bib, is now back on his face.  His cheeks, his eye, his hair.  Green mash everywhere. (hey that rhymed)

Will find any tag, anywhere.  Guaranteed.


By the end of dinner they are completely exhausted and covered in pureed veggies.  At least they aren't crying anymore.  Off to the bath we go.

Ah yes, Wes calls just after the storm has passed.  Be home in 10.  Sweet relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment